From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Peter Relson [rel...@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, July 8, 2022 12:28 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: How do I issue a command with a blank in it?

You generalize at your own risk. The subject of the post is very general, and
the processing likely differs across commands. And might even vary depending on
how you issue the command (e.g., operator console, SDSF, mgcre).

This might be a "how do I issue any command with a blank in it, using SDSF"
question.
This might be a "how do I issue a start command with a blank in it, using SDSF"
question.
This might be a "how do I issue a start command with the parameter having a
blank" question.

Many system commands do not terminate upon finding blank. I'd expect that SDSF
would not terminate any input that is provided but would provide all the input
text to the system (including comments).

I'll assume that this is really just a question about "start" and that SDSF is
not getting in the way.

Regarding the initial post, most programs would prefer not having to use QEDIT
to access the parameter data (that's how you access the parameter specification
via the 4th positional parameter of Start). I was thinking that a parameter of
(COLINs,Data) might have sort of worked but that uses the commas, not blanks in
between, and would upper-case both so passing COLINS,DATA to the program (to be
extracted by QEDIT. If your proc provides parameters to the program via PARM=
this all would work as you desire.

It appears that the parsing for the 4th positional parameter of the START
command does not support quotes as special characters. That is not documented
but can/should be. And maybe it should be enhanced to support them.

Do a lot of you use the START command with the 4th positional parameter? I'll
admit that I didn't even know that you could do this.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design