On Wed, 31 Aug 2022 10:03:21 -0500, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aol.com> wrote:

>"[^abc]" matches any string containing a character
>other than a, b, or c.  It matches "wombat".  However,
>"^[^abc]*$" matches strings containing no character
>other than a, b, or c.   It does not match "wombat".

Was that something you said, or something you're quoting from the manual? I'm
not sure.

In any case, "[^abc]" does not match "wombat". It matches only a single
character of a string. So, it might match the "w" in "wombat", or the "o", or
the "m", or the "t", depending on other details of the input string being
processed, and the application doing the processing.

I agree with your comment (which I omitted from my quote) that the DFSORT books
should not try to explain reg-ex processing, unless they have written their own
processor instead of reusing someone else's.

--
Walt