On Wed, 31 Aug 2022 05:55:46 -0500, Mario Bezzi wrote:

>Sri Hari, Max, all,
>
>thank you very much from your kind help and support.
>
>I really appreciate it, and I hope to have the opportunity to reciprocate.

+1
Kolusu's assistance is priceless!

I've read on about regular expressions.  I see in the DFSORT Guide:
INCLUDE Control Statement
  The basic regular expression metacharacters are:
 ¬ $ . * \( \) [ \{ \} \

but later in a table:
    [^string]

Is it "^" or "¬"?  Some clarification is needed.  I'll submit an RCF.

I hate EBCDIC!

The ISPF Edit Macros manual says that  metacharacters in regular
expressions are interpreted according to the CCSID of the controlling
terminal, listing several dozen supported CCSIDs, and says that in
background IBM-1047 is presumed.  Is this also true if DFSORT is
invoked by TSO CALL?  If SYSIN is allocated to a UNIX file tagged
with a CCSID, does DFSORT respect that CCSID?

I hate EBCDIC!

Also, in a table:
    The caret symbol, when inside square brackets,
    negates the characters within the square brackets.
    Thus [^abc], if compared to other strings, would fail
    to match any that contains even one a, b, or c.

("when inside square brackets" seems to be a restrictive
clause.  It should not be enclosed in commas.)

The "^" must be the first character inside the brackets
to have this effect.

The last sentence beginning "Thus ..." is incorrect.

"[^abc]" matches any string containing a character
other than a, b, or c.  It matches "wombat".  However,
"^[^abc]*$" matches strings containing no character
other than a, b, or c.   It does not match "wombat".

Another RCF, or the same one?

The DFSORT manual (and others) should not attempt
to explain regular expressions.  They should defer to
citing a single publication with such an explanation.

--
gil