On Wed, 31 Aug 2022 13:30:14 -0500, Walt Farrell wrote:

>>But it might be proper to emphasize any difference between DFSORT's use of
>>reg-ex and traditional beliefs.
>
>But, whose "tradition"? PERL, PCRE, Python, Boost, ...
>
>Does the DFSORT documentation name a standard that they've implemented?

Several.  "The great thing about standards ...".  From the Guide:
Regular expressions
This support is based on the following Standards /Extensions:
• XPG4 (X/Open Common Applications Environment Specification, System Interfaces
and Headers, Issue 4.)
• XPG4.2 (X/Open Common Applications Environment Specification, System
Interfaces and Headers, Issue 4, Version 2.)
• Single UNIX Specification, Version 3 (IEEE Std 1003.1-2001.)
• z/OS UNIX (functions that provide z/OS UNIX support beyond the defined
standards.)
Two versions of regular expressions are supported:
• Basic Regular expressions (BRE)
• Extended Regular expressions (ERE)

I don't see where the Guide tells how the programmer may choose between BRE and
ERE.
(But it does provide the REH extension.)

They didn't mention XLC/C++, probably the underlying support.

--
Thanks,
gil