On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 15:03:54 -0600, Kirk Wolf wrote:

>The OP didn't specify IBM FTP, so I'll mention that could use Co:Z SFTP, which
>has a subcomment "dsput" which will allocate a dataset on the target system
>matching the source system and then upload the dataset in binary, preserving
>record formats.
>Note: this works for RECFM=VBS with LRECL <= 32760, which is the range allowed
>by dynamic allocation.   If you don't specify a DCB LRECL on your IFASMFDP
>job, you will get RECFM=VBS with the magic LRECL=32767 (LRECL=X).

Why not respect the attributes in the DSCB, which are merged into the DCB by
the OPEN macro?
Or are you relying on a technique similar to IEBCOPY which represents a PDS
block in the PDSU
as a logical record in a RECFM=VBS data set.

>    ... This is IMO a bug, since the maximum record length for SMF is 32756.
> So put DCB=(RECFM=VBS,LRECL=32760) and stay away from that nonsense.

I believe that LRECL=X is represented as '8000'x (32768).  I learned this on
one of these fora;
I nave not found it in any Ref. (But I haven't scrutinized all the Data Areas
manuals.)  In any
case,  BPXWDYN accepts 32768 and creates a LRECL=X data set.

(The BPXWDYN designer may have been influenced by Doug Gwyn's maxim:
<https://quotefancy.com/quote/1711236/Douglas-Gwyn-Unix-was-not-designed-to-stop-you-from-doing-stupid-things-because-that>.)

And the envelope should contain a representation of the attributes so they would
be restored automatically on the return trip.

--
gil