When I started as the primary and basically only real sysprog at a small shop almost 40 years ago, it tooks weeks to get up to speed because the junior guys there resented me being brought in to be their supervisor, and wouldn't tell me anything.  The previous lead guy was being kept on as a part-time consultant until I could get up to speed, but he was nearly useless.  "Where's the IOGEN source?"  "I don't know." Sigh.

This article  is almost 3 years old and was written when COVID-19 vaccine was just a hope, yet in my opinion it's still mostly valid:

   Never Go Back to the Office
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/05/never-go-back-office/611830/

What I remember of working in an office, other than commutes being horrid resulting in people starting their workday in a bad mood, is people getting to the office, getting their coffee, standing around socializing for 15-30 minutes, and then maybe starting useful work.

The last time I worked in an office was at a small start-up for a manager who thought if he couldn't see you, you weren't working. But for some reason he didn't notice the guy without enough to do who spent a major chunk of his time transcribing books.

In lieu of having coworkers at arm's reach for helping supply information (where's the IOGEN?), now there's Jabber, or the mess called Slack, or Microsoft Teams, etc, plus WebEx, Zoom, etc.  And old-school email.