"but honestly I can't remember ever asking anyone if they had a problem with me
doing so."

I'm sure they would be very upset if they knew.
Those whose reputation precede them can get away with it.
Or if there is still trust to be found in workplaces (as David said).
For the rest of us, we're merely Jira janitors.

- KB