On 2/3/23 19:48, René Jansen wrote:
I think 99% of the folks on this forum want a language that can run in a
TSO/ISPF environment hosted in PDS data sets. Lua can do that and it's orders
of magnitudes faster then REXX with the advantage of package management. The
next gen guys don't use TSO/ISPF and they're going to use Python and couldn't
give a hoot about NetRexx.
NetRexx can and does, using the IBM jzos classes, which are delivered with its
JVM’s.

Hmm, I don't think so. NetRexx programs can not reside in PDS data sets. I don't get the point of NetRexx.

They can do a lot more with conventional MVS than LUA, I am sure.

Don't agree. Lua4z has a heap of integrations including TSO/ISPF without VDEFINE. And  you can write packages and applications using PDS data sets. REXX is impoverished in this respect and you can't share state or data structures between modules.

/https://lua4z.github.io/Lua4z////

Not that anyone would do that, of course, being so much easier with ISPF and
Rexx and their shared variable pool. I have built dialogs in COBOL and PL/1 but
nothing beats Rexx for that, having not to VDEFINE everything first.

That's subjective. I find it much easier to write code in Lua. A programming language that supports OO, meta-programming, functional programming and co-routines with just 20 reserved words is a thing of absolute beauty and a testament to the designers. REXX is a niche language that's only used to any great extend on mainframes and it's popularity is constantly eroding. The mainframe needs to keep pace with the industry.