WAG - they want to sunset the equipment that runs the functions and the
z/OS customers are not important enough to port the process elsewhere. Or
maybe they "released" everyone who knew anything about it.

IMO, IBM doesn't really care about that much about z anymore.

Neither do I. I'll be playing with Linux on Intel when I get kicked to the
curb (kerb) come 1 aug 2023.