Depend on what you need to do and there at least two levels to be addressed:
   * How variable length records appear on Windows
   * How to deal with SDW (spanned long record segments
If you want  both BDW and RDW/SDW present on Windows at least two approaches:
* TERSE the file, binary transfer to windows, WWUNTERSE from Watson & Walker) on windows (-V option removes BDW) * FTP binary transfer from z/OS to Windows using //DD: and JCL to force RDCFM=U Regular FTP binary transfer with "SITE RDW" will give you the file with just RDW/SDW (BDW is stripped off). Without the "SITE RDW", you just get the data with no indication of where the record ends).

Then there is the issue of how to re-combine the segments into the full record length.

Does that help any?

Michael