There are so many layers of issues here ...

If the data is "binary" (any or nearly any byte value is possible) then no
approach that involves CRLF is going to work. Period. Software does not have a
way to distinguish between a 0D0A that signifies the end of a record versus a
0D0A that just happens to appear in the data -- say a halfword of 3338 decimal.

If you preserve the RDW keep in mind that the Z is a "big-endian" machine:
x'0050' represents decimal 80, but Intel is "little-endian": decimal 80 is
x'5000'. You will have to account for that in processing the data.

If the records contain decimal packed data there are not many programs in
Windows that can process packed data.

If there are character fields in the data then they are going to have to be
translated from EBCDIC to ASCII in order to be generally usable. That's a whole
topic of its own.

I think without a real good understanding of the record conventions on both
machines that success is unlikely.

Here is how I have done this

ftp> quote type i
200 Representation type is Image
ftp> quote mode s
200 Data transfer mode is Stream
ftp> quote site rdw
200 SITE command was accepted
ftp> get zos.vfromat.file

Then in my C++ code I read 4 bytes, decode the RDW accounting for the "endian"
issue, and then read the rest of the record.

Charles