On Tue, 16 May 2023 09:03:56 +0000, Prashant Joshi wrote:

>I was trying to read file using "with open as".  This way I was expecting to
>pull single record at every iteration of loop.
>With your suggestion, I opened entire file in memory and read each record
>based on record length in RDW. Now I can read each record as expected.

Are the line breaks then not within the binary file but an artifact of the
read()  method of the file object created by "with open() as"?

If the file is too large to open in memory, is it possible to read it in
small pieces of an arbitrary number of byres and reassemble the
VBS logical records with a concatenation operator according to
the SDWs (RDWs)?

--
gil