My primary concerns around the idea of "the 9's". It is undeniable that systems built with sufficient redundancy can achieve 99.999% availability without a single point of failure on a single system. z/OS is renowned for its fault tolerance in both the hardware and software realms. Nonetheless, it's not the sole platform capable of providing 99.999% or higher availability with the aid of clustering. Here is an example:

https://buy.hpe.com/au/en/compute/mission-critical-x86-servers/integrity-superdome-x-servers/integrity-superdome-x-servers/hpe-integrity-superdome-x-server/p/7161269

But what happens when we encounter outages?

Scheduled Outages: These include maintenance or weekly or monthly batch processes that require the shutting down of online systems. If you haven't invested heavily in clustering a high availability system stack, outages will be inevitable.

Unscheduled Outages: Errors in the system! System software or applications may crash, making them unavailable until they're either rolled-back or fixed. The fix might take hours. Your 99.999% availability is compromised if your CICS transactions start crashing or a crucial batch job damages a database table and necessitates recovery. Of course, such instances never occur in a utopian world, right? Anyone with mainframe experience knows about IBM's red alerts https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/red-alerts-subscription-service-zseries-0.

Human Mistakes: This is a favorite of mine :)

Take the case of Air New Zealand - Certainly, airlines require 99.999% 24/7 systems. Just don't entrust IBM global services with your mainframe management: https://www.theregister.com/2009/10/12/ibm_new_zealand/.

The NatWest/RBS CA-7 debacle - A rookie system programmer failed to notice the unsuccessful upgrade of CA-7, which led to a three-day outage. This resulted in a hefty fine for NatWest by the UK government https://www.theregister.com/2012/06/26/rbs_natwest_ca_technologies_outsourcing/. So, how's that 99.999% looking?

The NAB outage caused by a power failure: I was once an NAB customer. The so-called 99.999% reliability was a myth! During my time at SHARE, I couldn't withdraw money from an ATM due to their weekly maintenance https://www.itnews.com.au/news/nab-outage-caused-by-power-cut-to-mainframe-491780.

Further issues with NAB can be found here: https://delimiter.com.au/2010/12/09/what-the-hell-is-going-on-at-nab/

After experiencing several disastrous outages, NAB has decided to blame these interruptions on outsourcing (IBM GS/Kyndryl) and seeks to transition to AWS: https://www.afr.com/technology/nab-raises-the-white-flag-on-it-outsourcing-20190508-p51l6k. Hopefully, this will not be a quick transition as they are one of customers!

A mainframe failure caused a six-hour HSBC customer service outage, with reports of stolen account information for approximately 15,000 active clients at the bank's Geneva branch. Consequently, HSBC must have had a 9.99% availability that year and the no mainframe data breachs myth is totally busted: https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/en/news/mainframe-outage-brings-hsbc-customer-services-down/

And these are just a few examples. Mainframes are insanely reliable but humans are not.