On Fri, 19 May 2023 15:13:54 -0400, Mark Regan wrote:

>https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesfinancecouncil/2023/03/31/are-banks-breaking-up-with-mainframes/?sh=acb458b6bccc
>
><https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesfinancecouncil/2023/03/31/are-banks-breaking-up-with-mainframes/?sh=acb458b6bccc&es_id=54716d118b>
> &es_id=54716d118b

I skipped ahead to the summary.  It seems to be less a breakup than
joining a ménage à trois.

On Mon, 22 May 2023 09:48:19 -0400, Bob Bridges wrote:

>Wait, did I misunderstand this?  People buy their first mainframe and run
>Linux on it?!
>
>(Color me ignorant, but I've always thought of OMVS as a late add-on.)

OMVS is fairly pure POSIX.  Linux has many enhancements (and a few
deviations.)

Linux has no 31-bit dependencies.  Programmers can forget about the
antique AMODEs and compatibility interfaces.

Experts on the z/VM fora have said that z/VM optimizes performance on z
better than KVM.

Unfortunately, z/VM administrators still need CMS skills even though the
payload is entirely Linux.

--
gil