On Mon, 29 May 2023 19:10:55 -0500, Charles Mills wrote:

>>Support for PDSE as a member* of a GDG was added in z/OS 2.1 or 2, iirc.
>>*(not to be confused with members of a PDS[E]
>
>And also not to be confused with PDSE 2 member generations, right?
>
>> maybe they could have
>> tried harder not to be confusing
>
>Agreed.

IBM couldn't have made it more confusing.  The proof is that they did not do so.

>>note, while GDGs usually consist of "generations" of the same dataset,
>>there's no rule that says they must be.
>
>Interesting. Did not know that.

Explain; even provide two examples; one of a GDG consisting of "generations" of
the
same data[ ]set, and one which does not.

Can't an Assembler programmer using STOW create PDS members with names
beginning with '+', '-', '0', 'π', ... just about anything?  I don't believe
it's proper
for higher layers such as JCL to introduce syntactic restrictions harsher than
those of core layers.  The only member name prohibited is 8X'FF', indicaring
the end of a PDS directory.

How do LM services accessible, e.g. through REXX support member "generations"?

--
gil