I may not have edited these posts correctly for this, but, I thought I should point out that an IBM product does create "illegal" (per JCL) member names. And that would be Netview.

In years gone by I had seen member names that were really "odd" and found out that it was Netview that was creating them.

So yes, an assembler programmer could do this and have done this, because it has been done.

Steve Thompson