Paul Gilmartin wrote on 7/7/2023 9:34 AM:
On Fri, 7 Jul 2023 15:39:52 +0000, kekronbekron wrote:
I suppose... even if the char is different in different code pages, it is ok.
Don't we just need some special char that's available in all known & used code
pages?

I extended Matt's test. The 3 national characters plus the 12 special characters
in the JCL Ref. have identical code points in 037, 500, and 1047.

Irrespective of the wording in the JCL manual, I think the way to look at is that there are those 3+12 code points which display the same on those code pages.  (If I'm understanding the discussion correctly.  Too lazy now to go look at code pages.)  So MVS JCL doesn't care if a code point prints as $ in the US and prints as british money sign in some countries and maybe some other monetary indicator in other countries.  JCL just deals with that code point as a valid character in a data set name.

Are there code pages where the extra letters in a latin alphabet (beyond 26) are mapped to the code points which print as $#@ in the USA?  My vague recollection from long long ago is that the answer is yes.

/Leonard