> > $ in US, or £ in UK code page, whether they look the same or not in hex,
> > isn't the aim to find a special char that works in "all" code pages?
>
> There's a peculiar hazard in using the same code point to represent different
> local currency symbols.
> May I choose how to print my payment coupon?

Yes, so at least for me, I'm interpreting this as what "new" special character
can we safely make a standard.
Example: Many people use '$' as the first char in PDS/PDSE member names.

What other special chars like it work, and can be reserved (for some other
OS-specific purpose)?
So it doesn't matter how it looks, but rather just a char that needs to exist
in all the commonly used pages today.
It wouldn't be too far fetched to expect IBM to do a customer survey to find
out what code pages are out there and in active use... to then find a char
that's present in most/all of them... to then anoint the char as a "new"
special char that is going to be used for some project.

- KB