I write more lines of assembler per month now than I used to write in a year 10
to 15 years ago.  I can't even think of an exit that I have not written code
for at least a dozen times.  I've written more interfaces for Java and C++ to
"get" things from z/OS in the past 5 years than I really care to think about.

I have also seen literally many dozens (bordering on hundreds) of "systems
programmers" that cringe in fear of even thinking of having to deal with
anything written in assembler.  Several of which, (but not many) I have sat
down and taught how to at least understand how to read in interpret assembler
code.  With many others, I tried and failed to get them to accept that
assembler is really just part of the job.  Not even a big part, but it helps.

Can you go your whole career as a systems programmer without writing any
assembler code, sure you can.  You can also go the whole time never installing
z/OS.  Many systems programmers, and I mean a lot of them, have zero concept of
how to read a dump.  Many of them "might" be able to use IPCS and follow a
script to "find things" in a dump, but otherwise are completely lost.

Setting up WLM properly and maintaining it?  Many|most of them can't do that,
and they figure they will just use Watson & Walker's set, or some other one
they download from the internet.  Capacity planning?  "Why bother, just get a
bigger box." is the attitude I see the most.  Use RMF, "hell yeah, it makes
some incredible graphs", (which they can't comprehend), but they are sure
pretty.

Even writing (and testing) ACS routines (which are extremely simple), is beyond
many of them.   Most couldn't code a REXX exec from scratch to save their
lives.  But these are the systems administrators we have now.  (notice I said
systems administrators, not systems programmers, because I think there is a
(big) difference).

I am very sorry to see the state of the current "systems programmers", but
thinking back 15 to 20 years or so, it really wasn't any different.  The same
exact complaints from both sides about assembler and "real" systems programmer
were exactly the same then as now.

There have always been "systems administrators" who have the title "systems
programmers" even though they have never "coded" a system program or routine in
their career.

All of this doesn't make them bad people, or even bad Systems Administrators,
they just aren't as technical as some other systems programmers, and not
everyone needs to be that technical.  Everyone doesn't need to know assembler,
but with an operation system that is made up of well over 300 million (OS/390
number) lines of PL/S generated assembler code, it sure helps.

The world needs all kinds of systems people.  Not all of us need to know
assembler, but thankfully a lot of us do.

Brian