Thanks a lot,

it would be always better to give even a very small ASSEMBLER program a test run
instead of simply posting it to a public web site.
I will fix this on Wikipedia as soon as I can.

I'm not sure if ASSEMBLER should be used by humans :-) given this episode.
In fact, it was used in the past (heavily), because in the 1950s and 1960s, it was the only language we had. And it is still used on Mainframes (some say: Mainframe Assembler is the only usable Assembler, all others are not) and as long as we have large code bases in Assembler, there is no other way than supporting it (and we have large code bases, this is what John Ehrman once told me ... most customers who still have that
don't want to talk about it).

Anyway: the reasons to learn it (like: to understand the code produced by other language translators better etc. and to understand language translators, BTW) are very valid, and that's what Ray Mullins (liebe Grüße)
tells in his papers, too, if I understand him right.

Another fun story:

Once a co-worker of mine (at the large insurance company mentioned earlier) had a problem with IBM software, and while communicating with IBM, he posted a bit of ASSEMBLER code showing the error, and the answer of
IBM support was "Customer should not use ASSEMBLER" :-)

Kind regards
Bernd