On Fri, Sep 22, 2023 at 05:28:00PM -0400, Steve Thompson wrote:
> I'm going for the bonus points:  NJE/RJE. I was just reading on this by
> accident while working on a tool to do a JES3 to JES2 migration (JOBs, not
> the sysprog work, not that far into AI yet ;-) ).

UCLA/Mail (in it's day) sent and received mail from JES2 via SNA/NJE.
The code is available, I don't know if it would still work.

During development I had the NJE protocol book and, of course,
the source to JES2.  There was a "problem" with JES2 not
accepting data I sent formated as the book said.  I looked at the
JES2 source and it was clearly not in agreement with the book.

I called IBM with the disagreement between their protocol book and the
JES2 code.  This went nowhere as about expected.  After going around a
bit, my final question was (thinking that SNA/NJE was IBM's main path,
and not being a JES3 shop):

  Well then how does JES3 do it?

The answer was JES3 didn't (at that time) do SNA/NJE.

I changed my code to produce something JES2 would accept...

PS: Another site at UCLA was JES3.  The JES3 lack of NJE was circumvented
    by having their UCLA/Mail connect to our JES2 via SNA. This got
    them both local email and email to Bitnet and the Internet.