My advice is to write a command processor. As I said creating an LE environment
for each function call will result in terrible performance. I’ve done this many
times https://github.com/daveyc/RTK. The trick is to use CEEPIPI to create a
pre-initialised LE environment and hang the pointer in USERFIELD of the REXX
environment block. An alternative is to use Python instead. It’s dead easy to
write packages in C/C++ without jumping through hoops. Writing REXX extensions
in LE languages is painful which is one of the reasons why I don’t use REXX.