On 16.11.2023 02:24, Eric Erickson wrote:
First of all thanks to Colin for sending me the headers. Before I went down the
path of generating them myself, I want to see what other had experienced trying
to do this.

I can't use Metal C, as the routines I want to call out of the functions are
not supported under Metal C.

FWIW, I was looking at creating a Rexx Function to retrieve a record from a
EZNOSQL Database and return it in the Rexx Variable for use. IBM has C/Java
APIs for EZNOSQL, but not Rexx at this time. There is an idea logged to create
it, but its marked as future consideration, so no telling when (or if) it will
appear.

It is interesting to learn this problem (C/C++ being slow for creating external Rexx functions in C/C++ due to LE). It seems that the C/Java combination does not have that problem? If so, then one possibility would be to have a port of ooRexx and BSF4ooRexx850 (Rexx-Java-bridge) which makes all of Java available but in the clothes of Rexx to exploit Java directly! Creating external Rexx function and ooRexx method packages is easy and straight forward.

For Linux on IBM Z mainframes there have been mainframe users who use ooRexx and BSF4ooRexx850 for interfacing with DB2 from their Rexx programs. ooRexx is open source and straight forward to compile for Linux on IBM Z, the same for BSF4ooRexx850.

Actually there is a s390x port of  ooRexx from <https://sourceforge.net/projects/oorexx/files/oorexx/5.0.0/>, and BSF4ooRexx850 from <https://sourceforge.net/projects/bsf4oorexx/files/beta/20221004/> includes a s390x port in its installation zip-archive for that very purpose! This allows to immediately use ooRexx on mainframes and with the ooRexx-Java bridge to allow to use all of Java as it was ooRexx, *quite* easy and powerful!

A Rexx programmer can exploit all of what is available on Linux on IBM Z mainframes. One can interact with any Java class/object to use anything Java makes available (and having even callbacks from Java to Rexx out of the box)! So, anything IBM and others make available via Java can be used from Rexx.

So if Linux on IBM Z is an option you could immediately check out that powerful combination and leverage your Rexx skills to exploit all Java classes without a need to learn the Java programming language.

Also, you could use this infrastructure on your Windows, macOS and Linux machines as Java makes the developed solutions portable! With other wordks, you can develop Rexx apps exploiting Java e.g. on Windows, then run the Rexx app on Windows, but also run it unchanged on macOS or Linux, even on Linux on IBM Z mainframes!

---rony