From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
David Crayford
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2023 9:28 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: External Functions in C on z/OS

My advice is to write a command processor. As I said creating an LE environment
for each function call will result in terrible performance. I’ve done this many
times https://github.com/daveyc/RTK. The trick is to use CEEPIPI to create a
pre-initialised LE environment and hang the pointer in USERFIELD of the REXX
environment block. An alternative is to use Python instead. It’s dead easy to
write packages in C/C++ without jumping through hoops. Writing REXX extensions
in LE languages is painful which is one of the reasons why I don’t use REXX.

attachments from your system.