We used Splunk at a former employer. Well, not really used it. An auditor
“suggested” we implement it to “improve” our mainframe security. The auditor
knew nothing about mainframe security. Likely read about Splunk somewhere or
saw a session on it at a conference. And of course the topic of “security” is
at the top of the heap among executives who wouldn’t know Top Secret from ACF2
from RACF. Especially when they hear that other companies are being hacked or
blackmailed in the media nearly every day.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Wednesday, March 6, 2024, 10:02 AM, kekronbekron
<000002dee3fcae33-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> I guess you might say that the whole point of products such as these is
> converting dense "strings & numbers" into logs.
I agree, except that I think the goal is not to squirrel metrics into logs, but
to get metrics and/or logs (actual SYSLOG) to tooling used outside of mainframe.

> no, we want to manage mainframe security 100% on the mainframe" and that may
> be valid, but not every enterprise feels that way.
Not saying this, I certainly see the value in common tools, especially if it
means adopting good tech from distributed.

I just don't see how high volume metrics (even if we filter down to just a few
100, from all SMF types) can be equated to more or less logs, and handle them
like that, except because it's already in use elsewhere in the org. Instead of
chosing the right tool for the job.