I think that SMF itself is not sufficient for security alerts. Only part of
the activity is recorded and the event is not understood by the auditors. A
good example is adding a dataset to APF by a sysprog. He got a call the
first time, saying this is his day job, second call, but as the wolf and
the shepherd,  they will white list the event. However, such change has
side effects on security. For example, the dataset is not properly
protected and can be used by others.
Many MVS commands allow change of system configuration on the fly and,
again, are not visible to SMF. In general, I think SIEM is nice to have,
but you need to have a more accurate solution that goes directly to SOC
telling the event and how it affects security by creating new attack
vectors.

ITschak

ITschak Mugzach
*|** IronSphere Platform* *|* *Information Security Continuous Monitoring
for z/OS, x/Linux & IBM I **| z/VM coming soon  *