From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of Bob
Bridges <00000587168ababf-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>
Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2024 9:40 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Learning one's tools

I suppose code reviews are like post-battle debriefs, in which every choice of
the commander is questioned, and when challenged with a better option he can
only say "I didn't think of that at the time".  It must be extremely painful
for the guy in the glare of the spotlight, but if it's done right -- too late
to blame anyone now, we're just trying to make sure everyone has a chance to
learn how to do it better next time -- it's also extremely valuable.  I truly
hated having the code reviewers poke at my baby, and at the start of this
thread I pointed out ways in which they didn't do it right.  But I agree with
Shmuel, when done right you might even say they're necessary.

(And post-surgical reviews, too.  The patient lived, or the patient died, fine,
but now we want to know what to do differently next time.)

---

/* The kingdom of Heaven is not for the well-meaning; it is for the desperate.
-James Denney (1856-1917) */