From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Cameron Conacher <000003cfc59146bb-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2024 11:46 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: How can I determine MVS FQDSN from DD Name in Batch COBOL Program?

Hello.
Back again.
Previously I had inquired about retrieving RACF details from the MVS control
Blocks at runtime.
Name I would like to retrieve the Fully Qualified Data set name for a specific
DD (SYSOUT).

Why? Well I would like my COBOL program to allow COBOL Displays in Production
ONLY when the User specified a FQDN.
If the JOB has SYSOUT DD *, then I will skip the COBOL displays to prevent
filling the SPOOL.
But in emergency, support could override SYSOUT=* with SYSOUT=mydatasetName and
my program will be able to determine we can honour the DISPLAYs.

Yeah, maybe this is a make work project?
Maybe the pain killers working over time?

Thanks

Cameron Conacher
Senior Engineer

American Express Canada Inc.
GCICS
2225 Sheppard Avenue East, Toronto, ON  M2J 5C2

cameron.conac...@aexp.com<mailto:cameron.conac...@aexp.com>
Office: 1-437-836-5265
Mobile: 1-416-409-5147

https://amex.webex.com/join/cameron.conacher

Note I will be OOO on PTO March 23 throough March 31 2024 inclusive.

________________________________
American Express made the following annotations
________________________________
This e-mail was sent to you by a representative of Amex Bank of Canada, P.O.
Box 3204, Station "F", Toronto, ON, M1W 3W7, http://www.americanexpress.ca/. If
you no longer wish to receive these e-mails, please notify the sender by reply
e-mail.

This e-mail is solely for the intended recipient and may contain confidential
or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information included in this
e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
the sender by reply e-mail and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail
and any attachments. Thank you.

American Express a fait les remarques suivantes
Ce courriel vous a ?t? envoy? par un repr?sentant de la Banque Amex du Canada,
C.P. 3204, succursale F, Toronto (Ontario) M1W 3W7,
http://www.americanexpress.ca/. Si, par la suite, vous ne souhaitez plus
recevoir ces courriels, veuillez en aviser les exp?diteurs par courriel.

Ce courriel est r?serv? au seul destinataire indiqu? et peut renfermer des
renseignements confidentiels et privil?gi?s. Si vous n'?tes pas le destinataire
pr?vu, toute divulgation, duplication, utilisation ou distribution du courriel
est interdite. Si vous avez re?u ce courriel par erreur, veuillez en aviser
l'exp?diteur par courriel et d?truire imm?diatement le courriel et toute pi?ce
jointe. Merci.