Not surprising. IAM replaces VSAM, including physical I/O to the file(s), along with better buffering and lookaside.

VSAM can have internally compressed records (like RMF III data stores do), but the application is responsible to processing the by the application data into a usable form.

In the past, I worked with an application that included their own access method that employed internally compressed records that included uncompressed records upwards of 3MB in size (similar in size to some of the reassembled long RMF records). This access method used KSDS VSAM and allowed sequential or keyed access to concatenated VSAM files.

Michael