From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Tony Harminc <t...@harminc.net>
Sent: Monday, May 27, 2024 8:44 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: VTOCs vs. catalogs

On Mon, 27 May 2024 at 19:50, Paul Gilmartin <
0000042bfe9c879d-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 May 2024 23:21:43 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:
>
> >Restore?
> >
> >My recollection is that DIRF came before TSO.  Besides, SVC 99 *IS*
> Allocation.
> >
> I k ow SVC 99 *IS* Allocation.  That's why I thought of it.
> TSO?

Dynamic allocation arrived with TSO, and on MVT was supported in TSO only,
iirc. I'm pretty sure there was no batch TSO in MVT, but not sure if that
came with SVS or (more likely) with MVS.

I am also reasonably sure that SVC 99 was not a supported interface on MVT.
Rather, the Dynamic Allocation Interface Routine (IKJDAIR) was the
documented interface, and under the covers it used a quite different
version of SVC 99 to do most of the work.

But I digress...

Tony H.