I think I remember the DIRF bit. That happened when I would, for example, run a DFDSS full volume backup of a mod-3 and restore to a mod-9, and there was a warning message indicating I needed to allocate a dataset in order to force the processing that would determine the new free space on the mod-9.

Does that sound anything like reality?  It's been a while.

On 5/27/2024 12:37 PM, Seymour J Metz wrote:
Also, was the name "DOS contaminated" for the DIRF bit ever official? And when
did IBM finally give an equate for X'80' in DS4VTOCI?

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3
עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
נֵ֣צַח יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל לֹ֥א יְשַׁקֵּ֖ר

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of Charles
Mills <charl...@mcn.org>
Sent: Monday, May 27, 2024 1:26 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: VTOCs vs. catalogs

I started my first professional programming job in January of 1969, working with DOS/360.
DLBL, EXTENT and TLBL cards existed but they were new -- the "old timers" still
used DLAB, XTENT and TLAB. So that gives you an approximate timeframe.

As @Shmeel has said, DOS definitely supported VTOCs. VTOCs were in fact
partially portable between DOS and OS/360. What DOS lacked was OS-controlled
free space management and support for the free space records of a VTOC. Free
space management on volumes was controlled by a chart on the sysprog's wall and
data set expiration dates.

Charles