> What you described about VSAM is what I heard too, a replacement of the
then dominant access methods.

Wow -- I distinctly remember that goal. It really scared many of us
(customers and IBMers) and made some of us aware of the gaps between
"developers" and "users".

KSDS worked well to replace ISAM (and ISAM is another bad memory!) The other
VSAM types mostly vanished, although there is a newer one for LINEAR data.

Some participants here are roughly as old as I am -- with notes about 2311s
and 2314s (and we should probably skip our potential comments about 650s,
1620s, 1400s, and 709xs)!

Bill Ogden