Ah, ok, thanks. Makes sense. So in previous versions, what was there? Doesn't
matter, just curious. Looked kinda like a PSW, not necessarily.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Peter Relson
Sent: Thursday, July 4, 2024 8:15 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: What's at a comma?

Phil S wrote:
<snip>
IPL PSW: The first eight bytes read during a CCW-type initial-program-loading
(IPL) initial read operation are stored at locations 0-7.
That's what I was talking about re the IPL PSW.
</snip>

That is, of course, true. My point was that that information is not in the
"PSA" that is available to programs.
It was at absolute locations 0-7 (not subject to prefixing because that is not
active at the IPL itself).
The IPL root program ends up after that in the same page (and what follows).

But that is gone by the time the IPL proceeds much further.

Prior to z-Architecture, locations 0-7 were the restart old PSW, generally 0's
until a restart had been done (if ever).

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design