I _think_ your RACF problem was due to the fact that the first time
the ZFS address space tried to open the VSAM file, it didn't have
correct RACF access. So the open failed, as I would hope it would.
This is like a CICS region doing the same type of thing. Now, in order
to be efficient, RACF caches this result in the address space (IIRC,
it caches the RACF rule it found). You then changed/created a RACF
access profile so that the ZFS address space could open the data set.
But the previous results are still cached. At this point, what should
you do to invalidate the cache? You issue the RACF command: SETROPTS
GENERIC(DATASET) REFRESH . Is this documented in a way that a mere
mortal can understand? Of course not! How do I know? Walt (not a mere
mortal, but an IBMer who worked on RACF internals) told me.

And you can read a 3rd party on this here:
http://www.rshconsulting.com/racftips/RSH_Consulting__RACF_Tips__October_2008.pdf
<quote>
If a user does not have sufficient authority to
access a dataset and a RACF administrator
permits higher access to the associated profile
while the user is logged on, the user may still not
be able to access the dataset. RACF continues
to use the prior copy of the profile in memory
and not the updated profile on the database. To
acquire the new permission, the copy of the
profile in memory must be refreshed.
One way to refresh the profile is to execute
SETROPTS GENERIC(DATASET) REFRESH.
This command causes RACF to discard all
saved dataset profiles for every user. RACF
then has to retrieve all the profiles again. We
have encountered several sites where RACF
administrators routinely issued this command
every time they executed ADDSD or ALTDSD
and have since ceased doing so on our advice.
</quote>

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 5:51 AM, nitz-...@gmx.net <nitz-...@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Barbara, I know you're not z/OS UNIX's biggest fan, however, this time
>> the problem is related to the authorization to perform an "MVS OPEN"
>> against an MVS data set. UNIX is only inside the data set.
> I beg to differ. The UNIX implementation has clouded itself in such a bunch
> of things - nothing is easy with anything OMVS-related.
>
> I am running in the *OMVS* shell, and the actual open is relegated to the ZFS
> address space. That takes some getting used to, especially when an HFS would
> have been opened by OMVS. I don't get a nice, understandable abend913, no, I
> get a strange error number that doesn't tell me that there was/is a RACF
> problem. Instead I am told:
> Action: Ensure that the zFS file system named on the MOUNT command has the
> same name as the VSAM Linear Data Set (and the HFS compatibility mode
> aggregate) that contains the file system.
>
> For heavens' sake, I am trying to mount a ZFS, not an HFS! And the name was
> specified correctly!
>
> To top it off, before I first posted, I *had* given the requested access to
> that userid. I still was unable to mount the data set, when (nominally) all
> RACF requirements were fulfilled. When I eventually restarted ZFS, of course
> the shell broke. Actually, every spawn command broke, since the main OMVS
> data set is a ZFS, and something didn't synchronize correctly at the restart.
> And before you tell me that I should have restarted OMVS, no can do. Without
> OMVS, I loose TN3270 and TCPIP, so effectively I have no way of accessing the
> system anymore. (Local non-SNA didn't work, either, because a colleague had
> pulled the plug on that system on Monday, crashing everything, and we were
> unable to establish the remote server to even call the program that would
> give me local non-SNA access).
>
> I was effectively *forced* to IPL the system to get ZFS/OMVS to mount a
> filesystem! There is no way I know of that allows me to make ZFS 'forget'
> that it ever asked about this specific data set and force it to go back to
> RACF to check again fresh. Do you know of a way? (There must be a reason why
> one has to logon/logoff whenever the RACF admin provided the access required
> before it 'takes' for a TSO user.)
>
> I think being forced to IPL a system just because a data set profile is
> missing is a bit harsh, to put it mildly. That doesn't occur in native z/OS.
> Address spaces without OMVS do their own open, data sest access is fairly
> straightforward and for a product installed later, the address space would
> just terminate on a RACF error. Once the necessary access is provided, just
> restart the address space. No IPL required. No contortions required.
>
> Most of all: For these data sets, I religiously had followed the IBM
> recommendation what to define to make it work. I did all definitions that are
> required according to the RDT installation manual. These definitions are
> identical on both systems. And on one of them it still didn't work!

> [...]

This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. If this had been an
actual emergency, do you really think we'd stick around to tell you?

Maranatha! <><
John McKown