I am quite "pro UNIX". I use a z/OS UNIX shell quite often. I schedule
the submission of some batch jobs via the "cron" daemon. I keep most
of my JCL in a UNIX subdirectory, not a PDS. Never the less, there are
some design decisions in z/OS UNIX which I consider to be deeply
flawed. First, GIVE ME AN UP TO DATE BASH SHELL!!! Who implemented the
standard z/OS UNIX shell? It stinks compared to BASH. Next, port all
the GNU utilities and abandon the IBM versions. Really. I mean it.
Especially GNU sed, grep, and awk. The comparing z/OS versions of
these utilities vs. the GNU are like comparing a WWI biplane to an
F-35 JSF.  Yes, it flies. Poorly.

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 7:49 AM, Hunkeler Peter (TLSG 4)
<peter.hunke...@credit-suisse.com> wrote:
> Barbara, it took you some time to compose this reply. Bear with me, I'll
> need some, too.
>
> And be assured, I'm not taking this personal in any way. I'm more open
> to z/OS UNIX than
> many others and I tend to stand up for it sometimes. In parallel to
> growing up with z/OS UNIX
> as of 1994, I was learning much about the design UNIX operating systems.
> This helps me to
> understand why many things are like they are in z/OS UNIX, *but* there
> still are many things
> I consider quite ugly (btw, there are at least as many ugly things in
> MVS).
>
> Will respond to you statements later.
>
> --
> Peter Hunkeler

This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. If this had been an
actual emergency, do you really think we'd stick around to tell you?

Maranatha! <><
John McKown