From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Phil Smith
Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2013 8:47 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Why does IBM keep saying things like this:

65% of the world's data resides on the mainframe.

Surely YouTube alone stores more data than resides "on" all the mainframes
in the world?!

Well, let's see: http://www.youtube.com/yt/press/statistics.html says that
"72 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute".

A minute of video is about 1MB. So 72*60*1440*1000000 = 6,220,800,000,000 So
6TB/day. In a year: 2,270,592,000,000,000 So 2 petabytes/year.

And that's just YouTube-no Facebook, no Pinterest, no photo storage sites.

I'm as big a fan of System z as anyone, but statements like this make it
look like IBM can't do basic math. Not good. And I see it again, and again,
and again...

...phsiii

to lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN