My comments about C and PL/I were prompted by 'observations' made in
earlier posts by Charles Mills.

Moreover, the wording of my last paragraph,

Opinions about such issues do differ; these differences are often as
much visceral as intellectual; and it is my guess that we shall never
agree about this and much else.

was intended to suggest that further exahanges--following, of course,
CM's response, to which he is entitled--would be unlikely to
productive.  I will, however, venture one further comment.  Arguments
from popularity to merit are problematic in any context.  Here,
however, I will limit myself to noting that COBOL too is an enormously
popular language.  Some metrics  make it even more popular than C.
Its deficiencies qua statement-level procedural language are equally
clear.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA