On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 07:12:08 -0500, John McKown wrote:

>In addition, for true ZIP file output, remember that the Java "jar" command
>actually reads and writes zip files. Unfortunately, it only supports z/OS
>UNIX files, not legacy z/OS data sets. Whether this is a bother or not
>depends on what the "far end" wants to do with the zip file contents.

Is having Java installed (and being comfortable with "jar" typical in
z/OS installations?

>For the truly advanced person, GIMZIP is a very powerful way to package up z/OS
>legacy data sets (sequential, PDS, and VSAM) as well as UNIX resident files.
>
>http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/gimrfr40/11.7

Its output is an EBCDIC XML file describing a collection of compressed
(POSIX, not gzip) tar files each containing an EBCDIC XML control file
and an IEBCOPY-unloaded image (RECFM=VBS with BDWs and RDWs
but no block boundaries) of a PDS(E).  If the original data were anything
other than PDS(E)s, they will have been encoded with the GIMDTS
utility (supplied) which format is extracted only by SMP/E APPLY.

Portability?  It all depends on whether the intended recipient has
access to SMP/E and is authorized to perform an APPLY (APAR IO11698).

(I might misunderstand.  Have you used it otherwise?)

-- gil