On 7/3/2013 8:34 AM, Mowry, Norma E CIV DISA ESB (US) wrote:
The program abending is written in COBOL.

That invalidates my first guess <g>

Back in the late sixties I diagnosed my first 0C7, in a colleague's production program that had been running problem free for some time. He was reading SMF records with BSAM (to identify spanning problems). The storage dump showed the failing instruction to be operating with valid data. It took an "AHA" moment to realize that the dump didn't match the data - he issued READ instructions without the expected CHECK or WAIT, making the code dependent on system load.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, Vermont