On Sun, 7 Jul 2013 00:43:23 -0500, Ze'ev Atlas <zatl...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Gil
>You've just made me rethinking my direction
>
>>Allocate the PDS(E) with DSORG=PS; RECFM=F; LRECL=256.  Parse out
>>member names.
>
>In C I can do something like
>
>for (...)
>{
>struct dirent *dent = readdir(dir);
>do something with dent (i.e. open the file, manipulate and close.)
>}
>

>after I properly issued opendir
>
>If the file I open in opendir happened to be  DD that point to a PDS or PDSE
>would that work the same?
>Thanks

It's doubtful.  But if the PDS were NFS mounted it would appear as
a UNIX directory.  Then readdir() would work.  But while my admins
have succeeded in mounting on a Solaris client PDSes served by a
z/OS server, neither John M. (who has tried harder), nor we, have
succeeded in mounting a PDS via NFS on a z/OS client.  But we
have no need that would justify a major problem solving effort.

-- gil