On 9/07/2013 2:00 AM, Tom Ross wrote:

Clark,  if you  Google "Java is dead" for some fun.  Ruby killed Java,
Groovy killed Ruby, etc, etc. Yeah, I have heard "x is dead" before, eh?

Java is certainly not dead but it is a legacy language. There are a lot of large enterprises like linkedin, sony, Xerox, twitter etc that are transitioning from Java to languages to Scala which are more succinct and have powerful features like functional programming, immutability etc. Languages never die, they just become legacy and don't get used for green fields
projects.

It has taken us a while, but we now have a modern backend (code generator
and optimizer) for COBOL that can exploit the latest hardware, and will
support DFP, AMODE 64 and many of the other z/OS system features that we
have not be able to exploit in the past.

Is that new backend bespoke for COBOL or is it shared with PL/1, C/C++, Java?

Cheers,
TomR              >> COBOL is the Language of the Future! <<