>> It has taken us a while, but we now have a modern backend (code generator
>> and optimizer) for COBOL that can exploit the latest hardware, and will
>> support DFP, AMODE 64 and many of the other z/OS system features that we
>> have not be able to exploit in the past.
>
>Is that new backend bespoke for COBOL or is it shared with PL/1, C/C++, =20
>Java?

Java used it first, now COBOL will be using it.  Next up, PL/I, I think, and
then C/C++.  Eventually all of the active compilers will use the same
backend so that when new hardware comes out we can exploit it with all langs
quickly!

Cheers,
TomR              >> COBOL is the Language of the Future! <<