As others have already stated, the physical disk space to represent an
emulated 3390 volume is only data-dependent if you are dealing with
log-mapped emulated DASD storage, like the Iceberg RVA, where each write
of an emulated track goes to a new physical location in the DASD
subsystem. I suspect most of the emulated 3390's these days are
fixed-mapped, which means when you define a 3390 drive you allocate
physical space capable of storing the maximum possible 56,664 bytes per
3390 track for as many tracks/cylinders as are in the emulated 3390
volume.

For fixed-mapped drives, if you choose to write blocks that only allow
fewer bytes to be used per 3390 track, that doesn't affect the physical
drive space allocated for the track and the difference can't be used for
anything else.  So on fixed-mapped emulated 3390's, throwing away
emulated track capacity with a poor choice of block size is also
throwing away real physical DASD space.

Spreading the same amount of data over more blocks and emulated tracks
increases the CPU overhead of reading/writing the data in z/OS (more
buffers and blocks to manage, and either longer channel programs or more
channel programs to run), and would also end up spreading the data over
more real physical tracks on the DASD subsystem, which would surely
raise the overhead there as well, even if that impact on performance
might be hard to measure.
        Joel C Ewing

Joel C. Ewing,    Bentonville, AR       jcew...@acm.org