On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 15:32:37 -0400, Jim Mulder wrote:

>> If there are any restrictions, they should be APAR'ed.  3120, 6160,
>> 6144, etc. is SO 20th century.  It's amazing to me how many IBM and OEM
>> products still ship these crappy blocksizes.  It's why I submitted a
>> SHARE requirement to have AMATERSE support SDB.  Isn't it ironic that a
>> utility designed to save DASD space uses a 6144 blocksize and actually
>> wastes DASD?
>
> Changing AMATERSE to avoid assigning a blocksize of 6144, so
>that SDB can to its thing, appears to be a fairly easy code
>change, and I do anticipate that it will get done at some point in
>the future.

There's a precedent for IBM's accepting APARs against products that
thwart SDB.  From OW43702:

  PROBLEM CONCLUSION:
  Module IRXIOLAR has been changed to allow the specification of
  BLKSIZE=0 for the TSO/E REXX command EXECIO in order to allow
  the user to specify system determined block size.

I don't know how much a precedent is worth, nor what IBM's
policy is in such cases.  And it did break things, incidentally fixed
by OW46399:

  ERROR DESCRIPTION:
  ABEND013-20 opening subsystem dataset. The blksize passed to
  open was 0. The lrecl was other than 80. Open processing does
  not select a proper default. RC20 MSGIEC141I IGG0199G

  PROBLEM CONCLUSION:
  Code modified to change the default blksize calculation to take
  into account the lrecl specified.

I asked IBM to mark OW43702 PE, fixed by OW46399.
IBM declined, calling OW43702 WAD.  I saved the entire
ugly transcript.

-- gil