retired mainframer wrote:
<snip>
With a blocksize of 3120, 15 blocks fit on a track for a total of 585
records.  Almost a 50% improvement.  My preference is 6160 (reasonably
efficient for both 3390 and 3380 - yes we have very old archived datasets
which occasionally must be restored) which will allow 616 records per track.

We previously had a similar discussion for load modules where 32760 is
optimal for the Binder but not necessarily for IEBCOPY.

(Interestingly, perhaps, this topic keeps coming up, both inside and outside IBM, over two decades after I did the original research that led to our recommendation to block system software load libraries at 32760. That recommendation stands.)

It's only IEBCOPY COPY operations that can behave suboptimally when copying load modules across different device types when moving blocks that are not good submultiples of the destination device's track length. This should be largely irrelevant today unless people still have 3380s defined (does anyone, still?), but see below.

IEBCOPY COPYMOD, though, has no trouble at all reblocking load modules that are "blocked at"* 32760, and behaves in much the same way the Binder does. Whenever you copy a load library it costs nothing to use COPYMOD instead of copy. And, if you do that after allocating the destination load library at a higher block size than the source load library, you just might gain performance and reduce the space required for the data set. (This stops being true once the size of the largest possible text block falls below the destination data set's block size.)

* Both the Binder and IEBCOPY use the block size only to set the maximum size of a text block to be written, and write shorter ones under some conditons. All the other records are typically written in short blocks.

--
John Eells
z/OS Technical Marketing