Very true. Makes me wish that the JCL converter, which is what I _think_
reads the JCL and creates the "internal text", would be enhanced to
basically act as if everything in a JCL statement which is not enclosed in
apostrophes was in UPPER case. I think this is what HLASM does to support
lower case input.

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 7:50 AM, Steve Comstock <st...@trainersfriend.com>wrote:

> On 7/25/2013 6:43 AM, John McKown wrote:
>
>> That would be in the JCL manual. But there aren't any examples. And if you
>> are not really UNIX literate, but just learning, it could be difficult to
>> put together something useful. So I'll give an example, using IEBGENER.
>> This will copy the READ macro from SYS1.MACLIB into a UNIX file in your
>> home directory.
>>
>> //STEP1 EXEC PGM=IEBGENER
>> //SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=* OR WHATEVER
>> //SYSIN DD DUMMY
>> //SYSUT1 DD DISP=SHR,DSN=SYS1.MACLIB(READ)**,
>> //SYSUT1 DD PATH='/u/myusername/READ.**macro',
>> // PATHOPTS=(OWRONLY,OTRUNC,**OCREAT),
>> // PATHMODE=(SIRUSR,SIWUSR),
>> // FILEDATA=TEXT,
>> // RECFM=FB,LRECL=80,BLKSIZE=0
>>
>> Hopefully, the PATH is self explanatory.
>>
>> PATHOPTS contains the UNIX open() options. OWRONLY - only writing, no
>> reading; OTRUNC - if file exists, truncate to 0 bytes. OCREAT - if the
>> file
>> doesn't exist, create it. One which I omitted is OEXCL. This say to fail
>> the job with a JCL error if the file already exists. This prevents
>> accidental overwriting. If you omit OTRUNC, you would "mod" on to the end
>> of the existing data.
>>
>> PATHMODE sets the UNIX access bits. There are three sets of three bits.
>> The
>> sets are for: (1) USER - the RACF owner of the file; (2) GROUP - the RACF
>> group of the owner of the file; (3) OTHER - everybody else. The three bits
>> are for Read, Write, and eXecute. SIRUSR is for read for user. SIWUSR is
>> write for user.
>>
>> FILEDATA=TEXT tells the access method to insert an NEL (end of logical
>> line) character at the end of each logical record written. This is
>> standard
>> for text files. By UNIX convention, text files do _NOT_ contain arbitrary
>> values. They only contain "printable" characters. Some control characters
>> are considered "printable". Such as tab, NEL, and a few others (I don't
>> have a complete list). In addition to TEXT, there are BINARY and RECORD.
>> BINARY means just that. But there are no record boundry indications. So
>> unless you know what you're doing, it may be impossible to process the
>> resulting file. RECORD says that the data is BINARY, but each logical
>> record in the file is preceded by a 4 byte binary integer (PIC S9(8)
>> BINARY) which contains the number of following bytes which are the next
>> logical record. This is similar to a VB file, except that (1) the entire 4
>> bytes are valid data, not LLBB; (2) the length is only the length of the
>> data portion, and does not include the 4 bytes themselves.
>>
>> For UNIX files, you really should specify the RECFM=, LRECL=, and BLKSIZE=
>> because a UNIX file does not contain any meta data (VTOC entry) which has
>> this information. Well, you might get away without specifying it,
>> depending
>> on the application.

> [...]

This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. If this had been an
actual emergency, do you really think we'd stick around to tell you?

Maranatha! <><
John McKown