On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 17:14:16 -0500, Ze'ev Atlas wrote:

>>Excellent!  Making them PDSEs will decomplicate your life.
>
>No, it won't. PDSEs are fine and easier to work with then PDSs
>
>My main issues were
>
>There is no easy way to load members to a library that is defined VB, 255
>(IEBUPDTE did not work on that best).  I guess I could have used individual
>steps of IEBGENER.  Instead I wrote an ADDMEM utility in Rexx.  All other PDS
>or PDSE manipulation was done using IEBUPDTE or ISPF.
>
>Shortening the file names to 8 bytes, upper case consistently in all source
>code was the core of my port process, but it was done with some Perl scripts.
>
>The other core issue was to resolve bind time dependencies.  Here I had had
>the worst headache!  I will leave the explanation of my solution out for now
>until I am ready to publish my process.

You fail to appreciate how much making them UNIX directories could
have decomplicated your life.  I suspect one of the Dovetailed utilities
could let you do a local spawn of a UNIX executable using the unneutered
names and propagating DDNAMES.  (Or perhaps BPXWUNIX if you eschew
third-party utilities.)

BTW, when you added PDS capability, etc. to PCRE, I hope you didn't
do that at the expense of disabling UNIX directory capability.

-- gil