Paul Gilmartin said:
>You fail to appreciate how much making them UNIX directories could
>have decomplicated your life.  I suspect one of the Dovetailed utilities
>could let you do a local spawn of a UNIX executable using the unneutered
>names and propagating DDNAMES.  (Or perhaps BPXWUNIX if you eschew
>third-party utilities.)

No, I don't fail to appreciate this and I've said that I will look into it.
The issue is my poor customers who are confined to the Classic z/OS with all
what is coming with it, and who are limited by their sysprogs in whatever they
can or cannot do (up to the point of not having any say in what compiler option
they could or could not use in their COBOL applications.)  For them, I will
stick with PDS and PDSE.  There was at least one person on this forum who had
expressed such sentiments and I myself worked in such environments.

>BTW, when you added PDS capability, etc. to PCRE, I hope you didn't
>do that at the expense of disabling UNIX directory capability.

Please don't underestimate me.  You are invited to download my distro and look
for yourself.  If it is a PDS or PDSE, I deal with it, otherwise, I pretty much
continue with the existing code, especially, if it is HFS, I continue with the
regular Unix directory related existing code.

The current version does not (yet) support file name patterns.  There was a
limit to my patient for developing new features and I had to decide when to
freeze the release.

ZA