Shane's surmise that the PDSE requirement for COBOL 5.1 executables
will slow its adoption in many shops is certainly correct.  All such
requirements do so.

Where Shane and I differ, and I suspect that this difference is
visceral, is that I am radically impatient with the "conservatism" of
these shops, which is making them irrelevant, and he is [legitimately]
preoccupied with their current, detailed, operational problems.

I do not, of course, deny that there are such problems.  They are
always with us.   Nirvana will not obtain when the current batch have
been resolved.  They will be succeeded by others of much the same
sort.  The existence of a set of these problems, whatever its current
makeup may be, is not, however, an argument for stasis.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA