I'm not saying it is a bad thing, that this requirement is now upon us.  It
just took me by surprise.   I am glad that someone here brought it up.  Other
than the terrible conversion to VS COBOL II all those years ago, upgrades to
the cobol compiler over the years have been pretty pain-free in the shops I
have worked in.  In fact, it was usually a non-event.   We will get there, but
the scope of the project to get there just got larger.  We will have to convert
more than 500 application load libraries to PDSE beforehand.  I'm pretty sure
that most of them will be converted with a simple DFDSS job assuming there are
no "invalid" load modules that cannot be converted to an program object.

//STEP1     EXEC  PGM=ADRDSSU,REGION=8M
//SYSPRINT  DD    SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN     DD    *
 COPY DS(INC(old.PDS)) -
 CONVERT(PDSE(old.PDS)) -
 DELETE -
 ALLX -
 CATALOG -
 PURGE
/*

But there are always the few application load libraries that are always
allocated it seems.  There are many improvements I see too, but the resource
requirements to compile have gone up too.  Consider the following statement(s)
in the migration guide:

"Compile-time storage requirements are substantially increased compared to
prior versions of Enterprise COBOL. The compiler requires a minimum of 200M
REGION size to run."

And

"Compile-time CPU time requirements are substantially increased, compared to
prior versions of Enterprise COBOL. The compiler may take more than four times
as long to compile as the older compilers."
Dave Jousma
Assistant Vice President, Mainframe Engineering
david.jou...@53.com
1830 East Paris, Grand Rapids, MIĀ  49546 MD RSCB2H
p 616.653.8429
f 616.653.2717